ALTERSHIEM Port Natal Old Age home now known as APN Retirement Homes in New Germany was founded in 1981 by two of the local Lutheran churches namely Evangelical Lutheran Congregation of Durban and the New Germany Lutheran Congregation.
APN Retirement Homes offers a variety of options to discerning retirees contemplating a change in lifestyle, requiring the privacy and comfort of their own homes without the worry of safety and security. In a tranquil setting adjacent to the Lutheran Church in New Germany, the complex operates under the auspices of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in South Africa (N-T).
The home consists of : –
The environment of the home has beautifully maintained gardens and offers 24 hour manned security guards at the gate, 24 hour perimeter patrol, monitored electric perimeter fencing, lock up garages, swimming pool, games room, kitchen, dining room, laundry, sun lounge, general lounge, chapel, wheelchair friendly walkways around the premises and a German and English library.
The Retirement Village caters for the active retiree and consists of: –
- 14 one bedroomed cottages
- 28 two bedroomed cottages
- Lock up garages
The cottages are available on a Life Right basis.
Cottage residents must be self-sufficient when taking up a Life Right. When cottage residents can no longer maintain themselves in their cottage, they take up their Life Right in the Care Centre. Their stay in the Care Centre is sponsered by the proceeds from Life Right funds.
Each cottage resident enjoys the use of a remote panic button which can be used to call for assistance from either the nursing staff, or if need be, security.
Levies include a lunch time meal in the dining room, weekly garden services and short recovery stays in the Care Centre.
The Baumann House is for the healthy aged. It offers: –
- 8 single rooms with private facilities
- 2 Rooms have been converted into accommodation for visitors
- A communal lounge and kitchenette are available
- The monthly rental includes all meals, laundry and a short recovery period in the Care Centre
The Care Centre is for the frail, aged and Alzheimer patients, and includes: –
- 24 beds
- 24 hour care given by suitably qualified staff consisting of Sisters, Nurses and Care givers
- All meals and laundry
- All rooms in the frail care are fitted with CCTV cameras
The Care Centre accommodates both Life Right members as well as paying non-Life Right members.
Facilities accessible to residents: –
- A courtesy bus
- English and German library
- Games room
- Swimming pool
- Hairdressing services
- Medical doctor by appointment and for emergencies
- Outings and cultural events are arranged from time to time
- Church services are presented at least twice a month